#1 UAlbany Men's Lacrosse Falls at UMBC 11-7
Men’s Lacrosse Score: UMBC 11, UAlbany 7
Location: Baltimore, Md. – UMBC Stadium
Records: UAlbany (10-1, 3-1 AE), UMBC (3-7, 1-2 AE)
Short Story: The #1 UAlbany men's lacrosse team suffered its first loss of the season with an 11-7 defeat at UMBC on Friday night.
- UAlbany: Kyle McClancy and Tehoka Nanticoke each had hat tricks, while Davis Diamond had two assists. JD Colarusso had the loss in the cage with nine saves. TD Ierlan won 19-of-21 faceoffs, grabbing 11 ground balls.
- UMBC: Billy Nolan led the Retrievers with three goals and two assists, while Ben Keller and Jack Andrews each had two goals. Tommy Lingner notched the win in goal with 16 saves and seven goals allowed.
- UAlbany’s streak of 31 consecutive America East regular season victories came to close with this defeat.
- 1st quarter: UAlbany equalized an early 2-0 deficit with goals from Troy Reh and Kyle McClancy, with UMBC scoring with 5.6 seconds left in the period to lead 3-2.
- 2nd quarter: UMBC outscores UAlbany 5-0, including saving four shots on goal, to lead 8-2 at the break.
- 3rd quarter: UAlbany holds on defense with just one goal allowed, adding a second goal of the game by McClancy. UAlbany trailed 9-3 after three quarters.
- 4th quarter: McClancy and Tehoka Nanticoke scored in the first five minutes to pull UAlbany within four, but UMBC kept an advantage and won 11-7.
Quote: “They played well all over the field, give credit where credit is due, they were outstanding. They shot the ball extremely well and executed their gameplan. We did not do a good job of mixing up our shots.”- UAlbany head coach Scott Marr
Recap: The #1 UAlbany men’s lacrosse team had its first defeat of the year as the Great Danes fell at UMBC 11-7 on Friday night.
UMBC got on the board first after a possession change, as UMBC got through a shot clock warning and scored on a shot to the upper left corner. The Retrievers added another in the following minutes as Ben Keller scored close range. UAlbany got its first goal from Troy Reh, as Davis Diamond found the longpole running towards the cage in transition for the shot and score. UAlbany equalized with Kyle McClancy scoring off a dodge and getting point blank with the cage. UMBC took the lead with Gunnar Schimoler scoring after a good clear, going up 3-2 after one.
After a couple of possessions, UMBC got the first goal of the second quarter on a catch and shoot. UMBC added a pair of goals in a span of a minute to push ahead 6-2. UAlbany got off shots to the cage, with UMBC adding two more goals to lead 8-2 at the break.
UAlbany’s defense held firm to begin the third quarter, with JD Colarusso making a pair of saves and a caused turnover ending another possession. McClancy scored with 5:59 left in the third with a long, hard shot and a goal. UMBC got the goal back, eventually leading 9-3 after 45 minutes of play.
UAlbany regrouped its offense as McClancy completed his hat trick and Tehoka Nanticoke netted a shot, swimming through the UMBC zone. UAlbany trailed 9-5 five minutes through the 4th, but UMBC got the two goals back. UAlbany scored twice in the final minute as Nanticoke hit two more goals, but the Great Danes fell 11-7.
UAlbany will go without a game until Friday, April 20th when the Great Danes host Binghamton at 7 p.m. for the annual Spring Stomp. For ticket information for UAlbany men’s lacrosse games, fans may contact the UAlbany ticket office at 518-442-DANE or ualbanysports.com/tickets.