Baseball Falls 7-3 at LIU Brooklyn
Score: LIU Brooklyn 7, UAlbany 3
Location: LIU Field in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Records: UAlbany (9-12, 1-5 AE); LIU Brooklyn (14-10, 5-1 NEC)
Short Story: The UAlbany baseball team saw a solid effort from its bullpen but ultimately fell to LIU Brooklyn 7-5 ahead of the Danes conference home opener against Hartford this weekend.
Coach Mueller: “We had the one bad inning in the third. Too many free passes, and they got a couple hits with guys on. We had some opportunities, we had 12 hits but left a lot of guys out there. The positive thing coming out of today was we had some good performances out of the bullpen and a number of guys had much better at bats than they’ve had over the last six or seven games. That’s encouraging moving into the weekend with Hartford.”
- Connor Takacs lasted 2.1 innings, allowing six runs with one strikeout and three walks
- The UAlbany bullpen combined for one run and four strikeouts in the final 5.2 innings
- Patrick Lagravinese hit 2-4 with a double and a run scored, and pitched the final 1.0 inning of the game, recording two strikeouts
- Brad Malm hit 3-5 with a home run and three RBIs
- Travis Collins hit 3-5
- Kenny Hayden hit 2-4 with a double and a run scored
- UAlbany has lost six in a row
How it happened
- UAlbany got off to a quick start with two runs in the top of the first. Patrick Lagravinese led off the game with a double to left, and then scored in the ensuing at bat when Brad Malm hit a home run to right.
- LIU Brooklyn responded with two runs in the bottom of the first to tie the game
- UAlbany retook the lead immediately with one run in the top of the second. With one out and no one on, Kenny Hayden hit a double to left center, and advanced to third when Lagravinese laid down a sacrifice bunt. Malm hit a single to shortstop, allowing Hayden to cross the plate.
- LIU Brooklyn scored the final five runs of the game in the bottom of the third to take a 7-3 lead
- UAlbany had a scoring opportunity in the bottom of the fourth when Malm reached third base, and in the bottom of the seventh when the Danes loaded the bases, but neither situation resulted in a run
Next: UAlbany will host Hartford for three games starting on Saturday.