Baseball Drops First Two At Maine
Game One Score: Maine 10, UAlbany 2
Game Two Score: Maine 4, UAlbany 1
Location: Mahaney Diamond in Orono, Maine
Records: UAlbany (9-10, 1-4 AE); Maine (7-19, 3-2 AE)
Short Story: The UAlbany baseball team dropped both games in the series-opening doubleheader at Maine on Saturday in their second America East series of the season.
Coach Mueller: “We had a tough time generating offense all day today. I thought our defense was good, I thought we pitched pretty well in the second game, but this is what conference baseball is all about. We gave them too many free passes in that first game, but we have a big game tomorrow and we’re looking forward to it.”
- Game One: Brendan Smith lasted 4.0 innings, allowing seven runs with five strikeouts and four walks
- Ryan Hernandez hit 1-4 with a home run
- UAlbany scored two runs on two hits; Maine scored 10 runs on 13 hits
- Game Two: Dominic Savino pitched 6.0 innings, allowing four runs with five strikeouts and four walks
- Hernandez hit 1-3 with a home run
- UAlbany left seven runners on base, scoring one run on six hits
- Maine scored four runs on five hits
- UAlbany got on the board immediately in the top of the first. With one out, Patrick Lagravinese drew a walk, and advanced to second on a passed ball. After Connor Powers struck out, Marc Wangenstein reached safely on a throwing error by Maine first baseman and advanced to second while Lagravinese crossed the plate.
- Maine responded right away, scoring five runs in the bottom of the first.
- UAlbany scored once in the top of the fourth. With two outs and no one on, Ryan Hernandez hit a home run to left.
- Maine added two runs in the bottom of the fourth, and two more in the bottom of the sixth to take a 9-2 lead.
- Maine scored once in the bottom of the eight, stretching the lead to 10-2, which would be the final score
- UAlbany drew a baserunner in the top of the ninth when Matt Codispoti earned a walk, but was unable to advance past second base
- Maine took a quick 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first
- Maine added two runs in the bottom of the fourth
- Ryan Hernandez hit his second home run of the day, a leadoff shot in the top of the seventh to left, for UAlbany’s only score of the second game
Next: The Great Danes will play one final game in the series against Maine on Sunday, April 1 starting at 1:00 p.m.