#1 UAlbany Men's Lacrosse Grinds Out 14-6 Win vs. Harvard
Men's Lacrosse Score: UAlbany 14, Harvard 6
Location: Albany, N.Y. – Tom & Mary Casey Stadium
Records: UAlbany (9-0), Harvard (7-2)
Short Story: The #1 UAlbany men’s lacrosse team scored 10 goals in the second half to defeat Harvard 14-6 and improve to 9-0 on the season.
- UAlbany: Tehoka Nanticoke earned a team-high six points off two goals and four assists, whereas Justin Reh and Kyle McClancy each had hat tricks. JD Colarusso notched the victory in goal with 11 saves and six goals allowed, with Stone Sims and Erik Dluhy each having two caused turnovers. TD Ierlan won 66.7% of faceoffs (16-for-24) with 15 ground balls and an assist.
- Harvard: Morgan Cheek finished with two goals and an assist, while Kyle Anderson had two goals. Robert Shaw had the loss in goal with 13 saves and 14 goals allowed.
- TD Ierlan became UAlbany’s Division I all-time ground balls leader, standing with 332 in his career and passing Jordan Levine’s mark of 321.
- Kyle McClancy surpassed the 100-point mark, standing with 101 in his career off 64 goals and 37 assists.
- UAlbany 9-0 start is its best since 2007. That year, UAlbany began the season 11-0.
- 1st quarter: UAlbany scored two goals in the opening 100 seconds, with Tehoka Nanticoke having points on all three Great Dane goals in the quarter as UAlbany lead 3-1.
- 2nd quarter: Nanticoke’s opening minute goal of the second countered a late goal by Harvard as UAlbany led 4-2 at the break.
- 3rd quarter: Kyle McClancy scored two goals as UAlbany outscored Harvard 5-2 and took a 9-4 lead.
- 4th quarter: UAlbany had five different goal scorers, including Matt Perla scoring from well behind the midline against the Harvard ride, as UAlbany sealed the game for a 14-6 win.
Quote: “We had to overcome some adversity for sure; we had a slow start. We had to find some guys to step up, and our defense in general was great. Very proud of our team for regrouping in the second half to play solid defense and be better on the offensive end.” – UAlbany head coach Scott Marr
Recap: The #1 UAlbany men’s lacrosse team used a 10-goal second half to take down Harvard 14-6 and improve to 9-0 on the season.
The first quarter saw UAlbany strike twice quickly as Jakob Patterson faked out two defenders and scored point blank on a run to the cage, then off a faceoff win, Tehoka Nanticoke passed off to Justin Reh for the shot and score. Harvard got its first goal while man-down from Kyle Anderson as both sides exchanges turnovers for the rest of the quarter until with 35 seconds left, Reh scored his second on a bouncing shot as UAlbany led 3-1 after one.
UAlbany scored early again as Connor Fields found Nanticoke on the doorstep for the point blank goal. The two sides went back and forth for many minutes as Harvard saved UAlbany shots while UAlbany forced turnovers the other way. Robert Mencke scored for Harvard in the final three minutes to make it 4-2 UAlbany at the half.
For the third straight quarter, UAlbany scored quickly as Kyle McClancy got around his defender and scored after a roll around the cage. Following a Harvard goal, UAlbany scored twice in a span of a minute, a roll dodge and score from McClancy and a shot from the hip on a run by Patterson. Harvard got a goal back, then UAlbany finished the quarter strongly with two more goals, another Reh goal from Nanticoke and a catch and shoot from Davis Diamond to Alex Burgmaster, to give UAlbany a 9-4 lead at the break.
UAlbany put another ball in the net in the opening minutes of the quarter again as Sean Eccles scored off a pass from Nanticoke. After a Harvard goal and a faceoff win for UAlbany, Matt Perla broke the Harvard 10-man ride with a goal from well behind the mid-line, resulting in the crowd roaring with appreciation. UAlbany sealed the game late with another longpole goal, this one from Troy Reh, adding one more from McClancy as UAlbany won 14-6.
In a battle for first place in the America East, UAlbany takes on rival Stony Brook at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium on Saturday, March 31st at 4 p.m. For ticket information for UAlbany men’s lacrosse games, fans may contact the UAlbany ticket office at 518-442-DANE or ualbanysports.com/tickets.