Baseball's Rally Falls Short In 8-7 Loss Against UMass
Score: Massachusetts 8, UAlbany 7
Location: Varsity Field in Albany, N.Y.
Records: UAlbany (9-8, 1-2 AE); UMass (8-6, 1-2 A-10)
Short Story: The UAlbany baseball team saw its comeback attempt fall just short in the 2018 home opener.
Coach Mueller: “We had some young guys that went out there and performed well, and we got some more guys out on the mound, and that’s what these midweek games are about. The middle part of that game really hurt us where we had some free passes and some errors, and UMass took advantage of that. Give credit to UMass, they established the lead and kept us down in the end, and we’ll look forward to Maine this weekend.”
- Connor Powers hit 2-4 with a double, an RBI, and a run scored
- Matt Codispoti hit 2-4 with and RBI and two runs scored
- Ryan Hernandez hit 2-4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Nick Kondo hit 1-2 with three RBIs
- UAlbany hit 5-16 with runners in scoring position, including 2-2 with the bases loaded
- UMass Lowell batted 6-9 leading off an inning
How it happened
- UAlbany got on the board first with one run it the bottom of the first. With one out, Brad Malm was hit by a pitch, and scored in the ensuing at-bat when Connor Powers hit a double to center.
- UAlbany added one run in the bottom of the second. Matt Codispoti worked a leadoff walk, and advanced to second when Ryan Hernandez hit a single through the left side. Chris Turco reached safely on an error by the UMass third baseman, loading the bases. Nick Kondo next came up and hit a sacrifice fly to center field, scoring Codispoti from third.
- UMass scored the next eight consecutive runs, with two in the top of the fifth and then six in the top of the sixth
- UAlbany responded with one run in the bottom of the sixth. Travis Collins hit a leadoff double to center, and scored in the ensuing at-bat when Codispoti hit a single through the left side.
- UAlbany started its comeback attempt in the top bottom of the eighth. Marc Wangenstein drew a leadoff walk. Two batters later, Codispoti singled to center, advancing Wangenstein to second. Hernandez hit an RBI single to left, scoring Wangenstein and advancing Codispoti to second. Chris Turco next grounded out to short, allowing both runners to advance. With runners on second and third, Nick Kondo hit a single to center off the new UMass pitcher, clearing the bases and cutting the deficit to two.
- UAlbany scored just once in the bottom of the ninth, despite bringing the winning run to the plate. Power hit a leadoff single to center. Two batters later, Collins singled through the right side, advancing Powers to second. Powers advanced to third when Codispoti flied out to center. With two outs and runners on the corners, Hernandez represented the winning run at the plate. Collins got caught in a rundown, and delayed enough for Powers to score from third, but was ultimately tagged out trying to retreat to first base, ending the game with UMass holding an 8-7 advantage.
Next: UAlbany will play in its second America East series this weekend at Maine. The Black Bears, who will host this season’s conference tournament, eliminated the Great Danes in the 2017 America East Tournament.