Ten Great Danes Net Goals in #1 UAlbany 19-11 Win vs. Canisius
Men’s Lacrosse Score: UAlbany 19, Canisius 11
Location: Albany, N.Y. – Tom & Mary Casey Stadium
Records: UAlbany (7-0), Canisius (3-3)
Short Story: The #1 UAlbany men’s lacrosse team saw 10 different players score goals in a 19-11 victory over Canisius, sending the Great Danes to 7-0 on the year.
- UAlbany: Connor Fields had another big day on offense with five goals and three assists, while Tehoka Nanticoke notched three goals and three assists. JD Colarusso had the victory in goal with four saves and five goals allowed in the opening 38:46 of the game while TD Ierlan won 21-of-25 at the X with 19 ground balls and two points.
- Canisius: Mathieu Boissonneault scored five goals, adding a pair of ground balls, while Steven Coss had two goals, two assists and two ground balls. Liam Ganzhorn took the loss as the goalkeeper, having 18 goals allowed and 12 saves in the first 53:36 of the game.
- Down 4-1 in the middle of the first quarter, UAlbany went on a 16-0 run in a span of nearly 30 minutes into the middle of the third quarter. It is the longest run for UAlbany since having 18 goals in a row at Siena on April 21, 2015.
- UAlbany won 26-of-34 faceoffs (76.5%) and outshot Canisius 49-34. Ten different Great Danes earned goals, with 12 different UAlbany players having points.
- UAlbany 7-0 start is its best since 2007. That year, UAlbany began the season 11-0.
- 13:31-7:21 1st quarter: Canisius puts its first six shots on goal and scored on four of them, including two from Steven Coss, to lead 4-1.
- 7:11 1st quarter-6:15 3rd quarter: UAlbany scores 16 consecutive goals in over two quarters worth of time to surge ahead 17-4. Nine different Great Danes had goals in that span.
Quote: “We got off to a slow start, but I like my senior leadership. There was no panic, Canisius came out with good energy, and we just had to settle into the game a little bit. I was pleased with our reaction to a slow start.” – UAlbany head coach Scott Marr
Recap: The #1 UAlbany men’s lacrosse team improved to 7-0 on the season, scoring 16 unanswered goals in a 19-11 victory over Canisius with 10 different Great Danes scoring goals.
Canisius got out to an early start as the Golden Griffins put their first six shots on goal, scoring four of them. Steven Coss had two of those goals as Canisius led 4-1 through the first half of the first quarter.
UAlbany rallied off a pair of unassisted Connor Fields goals to pull within one. Sean Eccles had a narrow angle and bounced a shot inside the left post from Tehoka Nanticoke, then TD Ierlan won a faceoff and passed off to Fields for a goal, giving UAlbany a 5-4 lead after one quarter.
UAlbany’s offense continued to rapid fire with three goals in the opening 103 seconds of the next period. Ierlan scored off a faceoff, Fields added another off a long blazing shot, then Justin Reh scored on a catch and shoot from Fields. UAlbany added another pair of goals in 18 seconds later in transition, a Nanticoke close range shot and score, then a bouncing shot score from Josh Egan. The Great Danes continued to dominate possessions off Ierlan’s faceoff victories, adding four more goals as Jack Burgmaster and Jakob Patterson scored 22 seconds apart, then Nanticoke added two more goals to finish the half. UAlbany led 14-4 after two.
The run continued into the third quarter as Egan, Burgmaster and Fields added goals in the first 4:11 to complete the run at 16-0 as UAlbany led 17-4. Following an exchange, Davis Diamond scored to make it 18-5 with 4:40 left in the third.
Canisius went on a 5-0 run into the fourth quarter to pull within eight. Patterson scored again to stop the run as UAlbany’s lead proved triumphant. The Great Danes took the win 19-11.
UAlbany goes back into conference play on Saturday, March 24th, playing at UMass Lowell at 7 p.m.