Savino Strikes Out 15 In Back Half Of Doubleheader
Game One Score: Hofstra 9, UAlbany 8 (10)
Game Two Score: UAlbany 4, Hofstra 1
Location: University Field in Hempstead, N.Y.
Records: UAlbany (6-5); Hofstra (9-3)
Short Story: The UAlbany baseball team split a doubleheader at Hofstra on Saturday with the series finale scheduled for Sunday.
Coach Mueller: “That was a really good bounce-back win for the guys. Dom really picked us up in that second game with his outstanding performance.”
- Brad Malm hit 2-5 with a triple and one RBI in the first game
- Ryan Hernandez hit 2-4 with a double and a run scored
- Kenny Hayden hit 1-3 with two
- Connor Powers hit a pinch-hit home run
- UAlbany scored eight runs on nine hits in the first game; Hofstra scored nine runs on 12 hits
- Brendan Smith lasted 6.0 innings, allowing three runs with six strikeouts in the first game
- Dominic Savino pitched a complete game in Game Two, allowing one run and striking out 15
- Savino’s 15 strikeouts are a Division I-era single-game program record
- Patrick Lagravinese hit 2-2 with two RBIs in the second game
- Matt Codispoti hit 1-3 with a home run
- UAlbany got on the board quickly in the top of the first. Nick Kondo led off reaching base safely on a throwing error by Hofstra’s third baseman, and then scored in the next at-bat when Brad Malm hit a triple to right.
- UAlbany took a 5-0 lead with four runs in the top of the sixth. With one out, Kondo drew a walk and advanced to second on Malm’s ensuing single to center. Kondo scored on a failed pickoff attempt at first on Malm, which resulted in Malm advancing to third. Next, Travis Collins was hit by a pitch, and Marc Wangenstein hit a single to left, scoring Malm and advancing Collins to third. With runners on second and third, Patrick Lagravinese hit a single to center that scored Collins and advanced Wangenstein to third. The inning ended after Matt Codispoti struck out and Lagravinese was caught stealing at second.
- Hofstra got on the board with one run in the bottom of the sixth
- UAlbany scored twice in the top of the seventh. Ryan Hernandez led off getting hit by a pitch, and advanced to second when Josh Gurnack singled to left. With two on and none out during Kenny Hayden’s at-bat, the baserunners each advanced on a wild pitch before Hayded hit a single to left field, clearing the bases.
- Hofstra scored four runs in the bottom of the seventh to cut UAlbany’s lead to 7-5
- Hofstra tied the game at seven with two runs in the bottom the eighth
- UAlbany scored once in the top of the ninth when Connor Powers hit a home run after coming in to pinch-hit for Hayden to lead off the inning
- Hofstra sent the game into extra innings tied at nine after one run in the bottom of the ninth
- After retiring UAlbany in order in the top of the inning, Hofstra won the game with a leadoff walk off home run in the bottom of the 10th, 9-8
- Hofstra scored first with one run in the bottom of the second
- UAlbany took a 3-1 lead with three runs in the top of the fifth. With one out and no one on, Nick Kondo reached safely on a fielding error by Hofstra’s second baseman. Brad Malm next singled to third, allowing Kondo to advance to third. After Connor Powers fouled out to first, Marc Wangenstein doubled down the left field line, scoring Kondo and advancing Malm to third. Next, Patrick Lagravinese hit a single up the middle, clearing the bases.
- UAlbany added one run in the top of the sixth when Matt Codispoti hit a leadoff home run to right
- Savino struck out the side in the bottom of the seventh
Next: UAlbany will play one final game at Hofstra on Sunday before a double-header at Saint Peter’s on Monday.