Seniors Stellar in UAlbany Men's Basketball 71-54 Win vs. BU
Men’s Basketball Score: UAlbany 71, Binghamton 54
Location: Albany, N.Y. – SEFCU Arena
Records: UAlbany (22-9, 10-6 AE), Binghamton (11-20, 2-14 AE)
Short Story: The UAlbany men’s basketball team finished out the America East regular season with a 71-54 victory over Binghamton on Senior Night.
- UAlbany: Alex Foster earned a double-double on his Senior Night, shooting 7-for-9 with 15 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks. Greig Stire also earned a double-double on 11 points and 12 rebounds, while Joe Cremo also had one off 13 points and nine assists. David Nichols had 10 points, seven rebounds and four assists.
- Binghamton: Willie Rodriguez had multiple team-highs with 16 points, six rebounds and three assists. J.C. Show and Everson Davis each concluded with 10 points.
- UAlbany honored its four member senior class of Costa Anderson, Travis Charles, Alex Foster and Greig Stire in a pregame ceremony.
- UAlbany finished the America East regular season in fourth place for the 4-seed. It is the eighth consecutive year that UAlbany has earned a top-4 seed in the America East Tournament.
- With the victory, the UAlbany senior class has tied for the winningest in the program’s DI history with 91. The 2015-16 class also had 91 wins.
- 15:04-11:42 1st half: UAlbany pieces together a 17-2 run with six different scorers, leading to the Great Danes being up 25-13.
- 1:40 1st half-18:41 2nd half: Scoring the last five points of the first half, Binghamton hits layups on its first three possessions of the second half to pull within two at 37-35 UAlbany.
- 18:18-12:37 2nd half: UAlbany holds Binghamton to one point for nearly six minutes, using five Greig Stire points and four by Alex Foster to go back up 48-36.
Quote: “We knew it was important to send our seniors off with a win on senior day. Outside of the first couple of minutes in the second half, I thought we did a nice job defensively. Good win, hopefully it gives us momentum going into the conference tournament.” – UAlbany head coach Will Brown
Recap: The UAlbany men’s basketball team honored its seniors by completing the America East regular season with a 71-54 victory over Binghamton on Tuesday night.
Binghamton forced a couple of steals against the UAlbany set offense, leading to transition baskets the other way. A three off a catch and shoot by Fard Muhammad made it 11-8 Binghamton.
UAlbany went 6-for-6 on a run of field goals, with six different players contributing to a 17-2 run in the following four minutes. Anderson had six points in that span, including a steal, sprint and score, as UAlbany led 25-13 with 11:42 left in the 1st.
Everson Davis hit three shots for Binghamton in the final 5:23, with Willie Rodriguez adding a late jumper to pull the Bearcats within eight. UAlbany led 37-29 at the break.
Binghamton attacked the glass to begin the second half, hitting three layups in a row to pull within a possession at 37-35 UAlbany with 18:41 left.
UAlbany stopped the run with a Devonte Campbell jumper and held for three minutes on defense. The Great Danes continued to go into the paint, with a putback dunk by Foster making it 48-36 with 12:37 to go.
UAlbany’s defense went another strong stretch, holding Binghamton with just three points for nearly seven minutes going towards the final media timeout. Primarily with layups, UAlbany built the lead to 17 at 60-43 with 4:52 to play.
The reserves helped finish the game as UAlbany led by at least 16 the rest of the way. Including a late Ahmad Clark three, UAlbany took the victory 71-54.
UAlbany now gets set for the America East Tournament, hosting Stony Brook on Saturday, March 3rd at 7 p.m. For ticket information for UAlbany men’s basketball games, fans may contact the UAlbany ticket office at 518-442-DANE or ualbanysports.com/tickets.