Cremo's 31 Points Leads UAlbany Men's Basketball Past UNH 83-74
Men’s Basketball Score: UAlbany 83, New Hampshire 74
Location: Albany, N.Y. – SEFCU Arena
Records: UAlbany (18-7, 6-4 AE), UNH (9-15, 5-5 AE)
Short Story: The UAlbany men’s basketball team picked up an important 83-74 victory vs. New Hampshire on Saturday night, including a career-high 31 points for Joe Cremo, in the 21st annual Big Purple Growl.
- UAlbany: Joe Cremo earned a career-high 31 points, shooting 8-for-12 from the field and 11-for-14 from the free throw line, adding six rebounds and three assists. David Nichols notched 18 points with six assists and five rebounds while Travis Charles concluded with 14 points and three boards.
- New Hampshire: Iba Camara had a double-double off 20 points and 10 rebounds. Tanner Leissner had 15 points and five assists.
- UAlbany shot 52.1% from the field, including at least 52% in each half, with four Great Danes reaching double figure scoring.
- This victory puts UAlbany in sole possession of fourth place in the America East, one game out of second.
- 20:00-14:16 1st half: UAlbany hit seven of its first eight shots from the field, including a trio of threes from David Nichols and Joe Cremo, for a 17-6 lead to begin.
- 7:05-4:21 1st half: UNH goes on a 9-0 run, capped by five points from Jordan Reed, to bring the Wildcats within one at 29-28.
- 20:00-13:29 2nd half: UNH outscored UAlbany 15-8 to begin the second half to take a 45-43 advantage.
- 9:26-6:23 2nd half: A pair of Nichols threes and four points from Cremo led to a 10-4 run to send UAlbany up 64-58. UAlbany did not trail the rest of the way.
Quote: “Our goal was to limit [Tanner] Leissner as much as we could and do a better job defending the three-point line than we did at New Hampshire, and I thought we did. In crunch time, we made plays on both ends.” – UAlbany head coach Will Brown
Recap: The UAlbany men’s basketball team, spurred on by 3,831 fans for the 21st annual Big Purple Growl, earned an 83-74 victory over New Hampshire off a career-high 31 points by Joe Cremo.
UAlbany started out 7-for-8 from the field with all starters hitting at least one basket. Including threes from Joe Cremo and David Nichols, UAlbany began the game up 17-6 in the first six minutes, countering six points from Iba Camara.
As the game tempo picked up, the two sides went back and forth on scoring as UNH looked to the perimeter to get back in. A couple of threes by Evan Horn made it 23-17 UAlbany with 9:21 left in the 1st.
UAlbany rebuilt the lead to 10 off play in the paint, using points from Greig Stire and Travis Charles to send the Great Danes up 29-19. UNH responded with a 9-0 run, capped by five points from Jordan Reed, to pull within one at 29-28 UAlbany with 4:25 left in the 1st.
Cremo had three straight scores for UAlbany to end UNH’s run and send UAlbany back up by three possessions. A late jumper by Tanner Leissner made it 35-30 UAlbany at the half.
After some early back and forth scoring by the two opponents to start the second half, UNH took the lead with three consecutive baskets, later adding a Jacoby Armstrong jumper to go up 45-43 with 13:29 left.
Fouls racked up on both sides, leading to free throws midway through the 2nd. UNH had five makes, adding a Camara layup, to go up 53-50.
Four straight points by Charles sent UAlbany back ahead, then after UNH tied the game back up, Nichols buried a three off a screen to send UAlbany back up. Cremo added free throws, Nichols knocked down another three, and Cremo scored another layup to make it 64-58 UAlbany with 6:23 to play.
With 4:14 to go, Nichols dished off to Cremo for a catch and shoot three. After the media, Cremo added a free throw to push UAlbany 74-64, 3:23 to go.
UNH got to within two possession a couple of times off layups, using the press off timeouts to try to bridge the gap. Devonte Campbell, Cremo and Stire hit free throws down the stretch to keep UAlbany ahead. UAlbany took the win 83-74.
UAlbany gets ready for a rematch with defending America East champion Vermont on Thursday, February 8th at 7 p.m. on ESPNU. For ticket information for UAlbany basketball games, fans may contact the UAlbany ticket office at 518-442-DANE or ualbanysports.com/tickets.