UAlbany Men's Basketball Breaks Away Late, Edges Colgate 75-69
Men’s Basketball Score: UAlbany 75, Colgate 69
Location: Albany, N.Y. – SEFCU Arena
Records: UAlbany (7-1), Colgate (3-3)
Short Story: In a back-and-forth battle at SEFCU, the UAlbany men’s basketball team broke away late to take a 75-69 victory over Colgate.
- UAlbany: Travis Charles earned his first career double-double with team-highs of 17 points and a personal career-high 10 rebounds, shooting 6-for-8 from the field and 5-for-5 from the free throw line. David Nichols notched 15 points and four assists while Devonte Campbell had 13 points and Joe Cremo tallied 12 points, six assists and two steals.
- Colgate: Will Rayman led all players with 20 points, adding five rebounds. Jordan Swopshire finished with 13 points, four assists and five boards.
- UAlbany outrebounded Colgate 39-24 in the game.
- The Great Danes shot 19-for-23 (82.6%) from the free throw line, including 13-for-14 (92.9%) in the second half.
- 10:54-9:49 1st half: Will Rayman goes on a personal 7-0 run off three made field goals to push Colgate up 19-13.
- 9:17-6:39 1st half: UAlbany holds Colgate without points for over three minutes, with three-point plays from Greig Stire and Costa Anderson leading to a 10-0 streak and a 23-19 UAlbany lead.
- 11:25-8:36 2nd half: UAlbany scores nine consecutive points, started by a Matt Conway jumper and continued by an Anderson wing three, to push UAlbany up 59-52.
- 4:51-3:17 2nd half: Using a couple three-point plays and free throws, Colgate takes the lead, off a Jordan Swopshire free throw, going up 64-63.
- 2:59-1:42 2nd half: Joe Cremo used a pair of free throws and a layup while fouled to spur on a 6-0 UAlbany run for a five-point lead. UAlbany held the advantage the rest of the way.
Quotes: “A good win for our third game in five days, I thought we were a little tired tonight. I thought we played with more of a purpose in the second half, sharing the ball offensively and defending collectively.” – UAlbany head coach Will Brown
Recap: The UAlbany men’s basketball team pulled out a 75-69 victory in a back-and-forth affair vs. Colgate at home to get back in the win column.
UAlbany’s strong rebounding helped early, leading to a pair of putbacks for an early 4-0 lead. Colgate fired from long range, piecing together an 8-0 run, including two Sean O’Brien threes, for an 8-4 advantage five minutes in.
UAlbany continued to focus play on the paint for its points, using a layup by Alex Foster and two Travis Charles free throws to push ahead 13-12. Colgate saw Will Rayman go on a personal 7-0 run as the visitors went up 19-13 just over 10 minutes through.
As the defense held Colgate without points for over three minutes, four different Great Danes scored on a 10-0 run, including three-point plays from Greig Stire and Costa Anderson, as UAlbany took a 23-19 advantage.
Colgate continued to fire away from long range as the two sides went back and forth to finish the first half. A layup by Jordan Burns with 22 seconds left in the first period gave Colgate the lead 37-35.
Neither side was able to break away in the first span of minutes of the second half, with each team countering the other. Three-point baskets from Devonte Campbell and Joe Cremo aided UAlbany taking the lead 43-40 in the opening four minutes. The sides continued to exchange, with a Jordan Swopshire jumper pushing the Raiders ahead 52-50 with 11:59 to go.
Sparked by a Matt Conway jumper in the paint, UAlbany surged ahead with nine straight points, including an Anderson three off the wing, to go ahead 59-52 with 8:36 remaining.
Again Colgate came back in the game, outscoring UAlbany 12-4 in a span of minutes to go up 64-63 with 3:17 to play.
Cremo led the next UAlbany burst, hitting two free throws to push UAlbany ahead, then hitting a layup while fouled, screaming in joy to the crowd. Another Cremo free throw, plus another by Campbell, gave the Great Danes a five-point lead. Following a Colgate free throw, Campbell hit a layup down the baseline to make it 71-65 with 1:14 to play.
With a minute to play, UAlbany killed some clock and held Colgate to a free throw as the Raiders pulled to within four. David Nichols knocked down two free throws with 26 seconds left. UAlbany’s defense held on two missed Colgate shots, with the Raiders rebounding and getting a layup with four seconds left. UAlbany held with a couple of late Nichols free throws and took the 75-69 victory.
UAlbany continues the homestand on Saturday, December 2nd vs. Columbia at the SEFCU Arena at 7 p.m. For more information, fans may contact the UAlbany ticket office at 518-442-DANE or ualbanysports.com/tickets.