Féquière Drives Women's Basketball's Fourth Straight Win
Score: UAlbany 72, Central Connecticut State 60
Location: Detrick Gymnasium in New Britain, Conn.
Records: UAlbany (4-1); Central Connecticut State (0-5)
Short Story: Behind 26 points from Jessica Féquière, the UAlbany women's basketball team won their fourth straight game, defeating Central Connecticut State on the road.
Coach Mac: "An ugly win is still a win. It's nice to get that on the road and have a game we can really learn and grow from. I was glad to see that we hung in there in the second half and played through the fouls and us missing easy shots. I think our effort is there, I think we're playing hard. Tonight we had some mental mistakes but I still thought we played hard. We're going to have to put it together before Thursday because St. John's is a really good opponent."
- Jessica Féquière scored seven points in the first quarter and 14 points in the first half
- Emma List has hit 10 consecutive free throws to start her career
- UAlbany shot 7-7 from the line in the first half
- The Great Danes recorded 17 steals
How it happened
- UAlbany opened the game on an 11-2 run
- Central Connecticut outscored UAlbany 16-12 for the rest of the quarter
- UAlbany opened the second quarter on a 9-0 run
- Central Connecticut closed the half on a 16-7 run
- The Blue Devils cut the lead to three with 9:11 left in the third
- UAlbany scored four quick points with seven minutes left in the third to bring the lead back to nine
- Jessica Féquière scored her 20th point in the third to put UAlbany up 12
The University at Albany women's basketball team won its fourth straight game Monday night, defeating Central Connecticut State on the road by a final score of 72-60.
Redshirt senior Jessica Féquière led all scorers with 26 points, one shy of her career high set two games ago against Fordham. She led a total of three Great Danes in double figures, including Tiana-Jo Carter (11) and Bose Aiyalogbe (10).
In the first two quarters, UAlbany jumped out quickly to a big lead, only to see the Blue Devils slowly crawl back to a manageable deficit of five points. CCSU managed to bring the game to within three points early in the third quarter, before Tiana-Jo Carter responded by drawing a foul on a successful layup attempt, sparking a UAlbany run to put the Danes back up 12.
The Great Danes flipped the script after halftime, not allowing CCSU to close on their lead as they did in the first two quarters. Despite late-game foul trouble for five UAlbany players, the Blue Devils were unable to capitalize and ultimately fell by 12 points. Two clutch free throws by sophomore Mackenzie Trpcic with one minute remaining in regulation iced the game for the Great Danes, putting an end to CCSU's last-ditch run.
UAlbany outscored CCSU 30-20 in points in the paint, 18-17 in second chance points, and 2-0 in fast break points. CCSU held advantages of 21-20 in points off of turnovers and 23-10 in bench points. The Great Danes out-rebounded the Blue Devils 41-27 for the full game, and recorded 17 steals.
Next: The Great Danes will host St. John's at SEFCU Arena on Thursday, November 30 at 7:00 p.m. before embarking on three straight road games.