UAlbany Men's Basketball Notches 4-0 Start with 102-77 Win over Oneonta
Men’s Basketball Score: UAlbany 102, Oneonta 77
Location: Albany, N.Y. – SEFCU Arena
Record: UAlbany (4-0)
Short Story: The UAlbany men’s basketball team improved to 4-0 on the season with a 102-77 victory over fellow SUNY school Oneonta on Monday night.
- UAlbany: Six Great Danes earned double figure points, led by David Nichols with 19 points, five assists and two steals. Ahmad Clark scored a UAlbany career-high 16 points in his first start in a Great Dane uniform, adding five rebounds, while Costa Anderson notched 17 points and four assists off the bench.
- Oneonta: Dwayne Freeman had 17 points and seven boards while Matthew Boyd put together 13 points and six assists.
- This is UAlbany’s first 4-0 start in the Division I era and first since the 1996-97 season.
- 15:43-14:28 1st half: UAlbany uses pushes to the basket for an 8-0 run, off a layup and one by Joe Cremo, a layup by David Nichols and a kickout to Cremo for a three, making it 12-6 UAlbany.
- 7:17-3:45 1st half: UAlbany holds Oneonta scoreless for over three minutes, with Costa Anderson, Ahmad Clark and Alex Foster contributing an 11-0 streak to build the UAlbany lead to 34-19.
- 18:44-16:41 2nd half: Oneonta scores nine straight points to pull to 53-37 UAlbany.
- 11:58-9:51 2nd half: UAlbany scores points on four of five possessions by four different players for a 7-0 run, leading to a 76-52 advantage for UAlbany.
Quote: “I thought we did some good things. Overall, we need to tighten up our defense a bit, it was good the first three games.” – UAlbany associate head coach Jon Iati
Recap: The UAlbany men’s basketball team continued its undefeated start to the season with a 102-77 home victory over Oneonta on Monday night to improve to 4-0.
Early on, UAlbany looked to attack the paint while Oneonta fired away from three-point range. Oneonta hit a pair of three for a lead, then UAlbany put together an 8-0 run, capped by a pair of three-point plays by Joe Cremo, to make it 12-6 Great Danes.
Oneonta continued its attack from three-point range, tying the game with a couple of makes. UAlbany got back its lead with quick strikes, with Oneonta keeping close at 24-19 UAlbany with 7:42 left in the 1st.
Costa Anderson knocked down a kickout three to begin the UAlbany run as the defense held Oneonta scoreless for over three-and-a-half minutes. The run continued as Ahmad Clark and Alex Foster also added to the 11-0 streak as UAlbany led 35-19.
UAlbany stayed with the plan to go into the paint as David Nichols hit a runner in the final seconds of the first, giving UAlbany a 48-25 halftime advantage.
Nichols had a thunderous slam dunk to begin the second half for UAlbany. After an exchange of three-pointers, Oneonta got nine straight points to pull to 53-37 UAlbany with 16:41 left.
The sides started to exchange points, then with 11:58 left in the 2nd, UAlbany netted points on four of its next five possessions, by four different players, to go up 76-52 with under 10 to play.
UAlbany kept at least a 20-point lead the rest of the way, with a Xavier Cochran free throw sending UAlbany to the century mark. UAlbany took the victory 102-77.
UAlbany plays its next three games on the road, beginning with a Wednesday, November 22nd contest at Dartmouth at 7 p.m.