Aiyalogbe Leads Women's Basketball Over Monmouth
Score: UAlbany 68, Monmouth 44
Location: OceanFirst Bank Center in West Long Branch, N.J.
Records: UAlbany (1-1); Monmouth (1-2)
Short Story: Bose Ayialogbe scores a career-high 18 points to lead UAlbany over Monmouth 68-44.
- Bose Aiyalogbe scored 14 points in the first half, eclipsing her previous career-high
- UAlbany shot 50% from the floor and from three in the first half
- Aiyalogbe finished with a career-high 18 points on 8-14 shooting
- UAlbany scored 32 points off of 31 forced turnovers
- UAlbany shot 90% from the free throw line
How it happened
- Monmouth used a 6-0 run in the first quarter, holding UAlbany scoreless for 4:09, to take a 9-5 lead
- UAlbany ended a 4:28, 0-5 drought with 3:36 left in the first
- UAlbany ended the first quarter on a 9-2 run to take a 14-11 lead
- The Great Danes extended their run to 32-2 with 4:22 left in the second
- After being held scoreless through the first 5:56 of the second quarter, Monmouth scored nine points over the next 3:42
- UAlbany ended the third quarter 0-8 in the final 5:51
- After scoring six points in the third quarter, UAlbany opened the fourth on an 8-2 run
- UAlbany outscored Monmouth 20-9 in the fourth quarter
The University at Albany women’s basketball team earned its first win of the 2017-18 season Thursday with a 68-44 victory over host Monmouth. Redshirt-senior Bose Aiyalogbe led UAlbany to victory behind a career-best 18 points.
Aiyalogbe’s previous career-high was 13, which she had done in two games last season. She eclipsed that mark in the first half, scoring 14 points to put UAlbany up 42-23 at halftime. The Great Danes led by three after the first quarter, but used a 32-2 run to jump out to a 37-11 lead.
The Great Dane offense stalled in the third quarter, scoring only six points. Monmouth brought the score as close as 48-35 before UAlbany regained their form to outscore the Hawks 20-9 in the fourth to win the game 68-44.
For the full game, UAlbany outscored Monmouth 34-24 in points in the paint, 32-14 in points off of turnovers, 9-5 in second chance points, 8-6 in fast break points, and 24-16 in bench points. The Great Dane defense forced 31 Monmouth turnovers, and the team as a whole shot 9-10 from the free throw line.
Next: UAlbany will host its home opener on Sunday, November 19 at 2:00 p.m. against Fordham.