UAlbany Volleyball Secures Share of AE Regular Season Title in 3-0 Win vs. UMBC
Volleyball Score: UAlbany 3, UMBC 0 (25-14, 25-19, 25-21)
Location: Albany, N.Y. – University Gym
Records: UAlbany (9-13, 9-1 AE), UMBC (13-10, 5-4 AE)
Short Story: The UAlbany volleyball team swept UMBC on Senior Day to earn a share of the America East regular season title and take its eighth consecutive victory.
- UAlbany: Akuabata Okenwa nearly had a double double, hitting .304 with 10 kills and nine digs. Tatiana Tiangco also had 10 kills, adding four digs, while Taylor Robinson hit .545 with six kills and two blocks.
- UMBC: Ashley Ramos was the leader in kills with 10, adding two digs. Paola Rojas put together eight kills, nine digs and three blocks.
- UAlbany hit .294 in the match, including .531 in the first set. The Great Danes notched 45 kills to UMBC’s 30.
- Before the match, UAlbany held a pregame ceremony for senior day, honored its seniors Nina Holmes and Taylor Robinson.
- UAlbany secures a share of the America East regular season title tonight. The Great Danes can win the regular season title outright and hosting rights to the America East Tournament with one win in its final two matches or one Stony Brook loss in its final two matches.
- 1st set: UAlbany did not allow back-to-back points until the Great Danes had 24 points, hitting .531 and using a 5-0 Nina Holmes run to earn a 25-14 victory.
- 2nd set: Serving from Akuabata Okenwa and Gabrielle Hansen helped UAlbany build a 14-5 advantage. UAlbany held off a 5-0 UMBC run and took the set 25-19.
- 3rd set: Down three late, UAlbany won eight consecutive points off Nicole Otero’s serving, including two Tatiana Tiangco kills, to take the game 25-21.
Quotes: “It is great to get a win on Senior Day for our two seniors. Nina Holmes and Taylor Robinson are great contributors and great people, and they were great in this match tonight.” – UAlbany head coach MJ Engstrom
Recap: The UAlbany volleyball team earned its eighth straight win on Senior Day, sweeping UMBC to pick up at least a share of the America East regular season title.
After an early 3-0 run gave UAlbany a three-point lead, three more UAlbany kills, including two from Chloe Evering, pushed UAlbany up 8-3. At 12-7, a Tatiana Tiangco kill sent Nina Holmes to serve, who took UAlbany through a 5-0 run for a 16-7 advantage. UAlbany kept exchanging UMBC points with kills, finishing the set on a Danielle Tedesco kill to take the set 25-14.
Kills from Taylor Robinson and Evering helped fuel a 5-0 run off Akuabata Okenwa’s serving, followed by a 3-0 streak off an Evering kill, a Gabrielle Hansen ace and a Kelly Cameron kill, to make it 11-3 UAlbany in set two. Two Krytsia Negron aces helped UAlbany pull within four at 14-10, with the Retrievers later getting to 18-15. UAlbany held off the comeback attempt, using three late Okenwa kills to win 25-19 and go up 2-0 in the match.
Using kills and blocks from Paola Rajos and Ashley Ramos, UMBC built a 13-7 advantage in set three, later leading 16-10. Two kills from Tiangco off Hansen’s serving helped UAlbany get within one at 16-15, with UMBC rebuilding the lead at 18-15. Robinson and Cameron had a combo block to send Nicole Otero back to serve. UAlbany kept winning rallies, winning eight in a row to lead 23-18. Kills from Hansen and Tiangco finished the set at 25-21, giving UAlbany the three-set win.
UAlbany will look to secure hosting rights to the America East Tournament on Sunday, hosting Hartford at 2 p.m. at the University Gym.