Williams Hat Trick Leads UAlbany Women's Soccer Past Maine 4-1
Women’s Soccer Score: UAlbany 4, Maine 1
Location: Albany, N.Y. – Tom & Mary Casey Stadium
Records: UAlbany (5-10-1, 3-3-1 AE), Maine (4-9-1, 2-4 AE)
Short Story: Led by the first career collegiate hat trick for Mariah Williams, the UAlbany women’s soccer team took down Maine 4-1 on Senior Day for its second straight America East victory.
- UAlbany: Mariah Williams tied a UAlbany single game goals record with three, being the first UAlbany player to earn that feat since 2012. Miranda Badovinac had the fourth goal of the game, also assisting an earlier Williams score, with Caroline Kopp and Katie Gowing each getting assists. Andrea Leitner notched the victory with two saves in goal.
- Maine: Priscilla Domingo had the team’s lone goal in the 44th minute, assisted by Mikayla Morin.
- UAlbany outshot Maine 14-8 in the game, netting two goals in each half.
- Before the game, UAlbany held a pregame ceremony for UAlbany seniors Morgan Loder and Vivian Vega.
- 9’ UAlbany goal – A long range pass from Caroline Kopp went to Williams. Williams got around the keeper and scored on the left post.
- 12’ UAlbany goal – Williams scored on a line drive shot from outside the box inside the right post.
- 44’ Maine goal – A pass from a free kick came to Domingo Priscilla, who shot the ball while falling inside the right post.
- 81’ UAlbany goal – Williams side steps a defender and kicks a ground ball shot into the middle of the net past a diving keeper.
- 86‘ UAlbany goal – Long feed from Katie Gowing finds a cutting Miranda Badovinac for a header from the right to left side, inside the post.
Quotes: “We need results, and seeing how a team responds to that is enlightening as a coach; we have a young group that seems to soak up the pressure and want more. A great result to send Morgan Loder and Vivian Vega off on their Senior Day.” – UAlbany head coach Nick Bochette.
“It is awesome to score three goals. We knew it was a must-win today, we came out hard and we did not let down as we try to finish the season strong.” – UAlbany junior forward Mariah Williams.
Recap: The UAlbany women’s soccer team rode Mariah Williams’s hat trick to a 4-1 victory over Maine for Senior Day on Sunday afternoon.
With her first shot saved, Williams’s second attempt in the 9th minute, getting past the keeper for a score on the open net put UAlbany up 1-0. In the 12th minute, Williams scored again on a long range fire into the right post for a 2-0 lead. Andrea Leitner held twice in less than a minute from two close range Maine shots for saves. Maine had another late barrage, missing wide on three shots, but converted in the 44th minute off a free kick to a ground ball shot by Priscella Domingo, making it 2-1 UAlbany at the half.
UAlbany held Maine without a shot for over 36 minutes into the second half, seeing Vivian Vega and Williams take shots towards the cage, with Samantha Cobotic making saves. Just into the 81st minute, Williams completed the hat trick, shaking off a defender and scoring in the middle of the net on a ground ball shot. Maine’s final two shots were blocked in the 82nd minute, then Miranda Badovinac scored off a header on a long cross to seal the game. UAlbany took the victory 4-1.
UAlbany’s regular season finale is on Long Island as the Great Danes take on Stony Brook on Thursday, October 19th at 7 p.m.