UAlbany Volleyball Sweeps Hartford for First AE Road Win
Volleyball Score: UAlbany 3, Hartford 0 (26-24, 25-17, 25-20)
Location: West Hartford, Conn. – Hartford Volleyball Gym
Records: UAlbany (3-13, 3-1 AE), Hartford (3-13, 0-3 AE)
Short Story: The UAlbany volleyball team earned a sweeping road victory over Hartford for its third conference win in its last four matches.
- UAlbany: Three Great Danes had at least nine kills, led by Akuabata Okenwa with 11, adding four blocks. Taylor Robinson hit .750 with nine kills with five blocks while Tatiana Tiangco notched nine kills and three blocks. Nicole Otero earned 21 digs at libero.
- Hartford: Abby Nash nearly had a double double on nine kills and 12 digs. Brittany Braun and Jenna Bridges finished with eight kills each.
- Set one: A back and forth battle as each side exchanged the lead late. At 24-24, Taylor Robinson and Akuabata Okenwa blocked a Taylor Nash attack, then a Bridges attack error ended the set 26-24 UAlbany.
- Set two: UAlbany had an early five point lead at 12-7 off multiple Tatiana Tiangco kills and held the lead the rest of the way, winning 25-17.
- Set three: Nina Holmes had a 7-0 run off her serving as UAlbany never trailed against by less than four, taking the game 25-20.
Quote: “We worked a lot on staying intense and focused this week, and lining up the block on the other team. I’m really happy we pulled out a back-and-forth first set, and we maintained our focus for the rest of the match, including after we we up 2-0.” – UAlbany head coach MJ Engstrom
Recap: The UAlbany volleyball team swept Hartford on the road on Friday night to improve to 3-1 in America East play.
A 3-0 run by Taylor Robinson with two kills and a block gave UAlbany a 6-4 advantage in set one. Hartford retook the lead at 7-6 as the sides went back and forth, leading to UAlbany going up 10-8 after two straight kills. At 14-13 UAlbany, two kills from Jenna Bridges helped Hartford win four of five points to go up 17-15. UAlbany took back the lead with two Tatiana Tiangco kills as the sides kept exchanging the lead. Down 23-22, a Hartford service error then a block by Robinson made it set point. Hartford defended with a Bridges kill, then another Robinson block replayed set point. A Bridges attack error gave the set to UAlbany 26-24.
Into set two, kills from Chloe Evering and Tiangco gave UAlbany a 9-6 lead, later going up to 12-7 after a 3-0 run, capped by two more Tiangco kills, then another two UAlbany kills made it 14-8. UAlbany sustained its lead, keeping ahead the rest of the way. UAlbany won five of the final six points to take set two 25-17 and lead 2-0 in the match.
Nina Holmes went on a roll serving, leading UAlbany to a 7-0 run for a 7-2 lead in set three. At 13-8, a Tiangco kill, a Kelly Cameron service ace and an Akuabata Okenwa kill made it 16-8 UAlbany. Hartford went on a late charge and pulled to within four twice, but Robinson finished the Hawks with a pair of kills to take a 25-20 set three victory and sweep the match.
UAlbany has a quick turnaround, heading to Baltimore for a match vs. UMBC on Sunday, October 7th at 1 p.m.