UAlbany Women's Soccer Second Half Comeback Short, Felled at URI 2-1
Women’s Soccer Score: Rhode Island 2, UAlbany 1
Location: Kingston, R.I. – URI Soccer Complex
Records: UAlbany (2-6), Rhode Island (3-5)
Short Story: Sophia Eifler notched an early second half goal to attempt a comeback, but the UAlbany women’s soccer team came up short in a 2-1 road defeat to Rhode Island.
- UAlbany: Sophia Eifler scored her first collegiate goal in the 46th minute, assisted by Caroline Kopp. Andrea Leitner got the loss in goal despite six saves, all in the second half.
- Rhode Island: Jennifer Mencos and Allyson Reynolds scored in the game’s first 20 minutes. Julia Freeman had the win in goal with three saves.
- UAlbany’s second half included seven shots, putting four on goal, and four corner kicks.
- 15’ Rhode Island goal – URI counter attack results in a UAlbany foul just inside the box. Jennifer Marcos converts the penalty kick inside the left post.
- 20’ Rhode Island goal – Marcos sends a corner kick to the left side of the box. Allyson Reynolds, on the second touch, scores on the right side of the net.
- 46’ UAlbany goal – Kopp arcs a cross towards the right side. Eifler takes the ball on the first touch and pushes the ball inside the right post for the goal.
Quote: "We're very disappointed after tonight's loss. While we had some rather good spells, we simply made too many errors to win. However, there is lots of reason for optimism as we continue our progress to our America East goals." - UAlbany head coach Nick Bochette
Recap: The UAlbany women’s soccer team came out aggressively in the second half to spur on a comeback beginning with a Sophia Eifler 46th minute goal, but came up short in a 2-1 defeat at Rhode Island on Thursday night.
Play was even most of the game, with URI holding a slight edge in shots 14-11 and corner kicks 6-5.
In the first half, UAlbany controlled possession for most of the opening 14 minutes, getting off two shots with neither on cage. URI went on a counter attack and drew a foul inside the box to draw a penalty kick. Mencos converted inside the left post to put URI on the board. Five minutes later, a corner kick came to Reynolds inside the box. Reynolds kicked into the goal right side to make it 2-0 URI. UAlbany pushed a couple of possessions, with Caroline Kopp and Claire Urquhart each firing on shots and missing off-cage. UAlbany trailed 2-0 at the half.
UAlbany was the early aggressor in the second half, paying off quickly. Kopp arced the ball across the goal to Eifler near the right post for a first touch push and goal in the 46th minute. After two near missed header by Bracamonte, Eifler nearly got a second goal in the 54th minute off a breakaway, with a URI defender stopping the attempt. UAlbany kept attacking and held off a pair of URI counters, with two Ram shots missing wide right. UAlbany’s last chance came in the 85th minute after Kopp’s shot was blocked for a corner. The corner kick was cleared out by URI. UAlbany fell to URI 2-1.
UAlbany will finish up non-conference play on Sunday, September 17th as the Great Danes head west to SEC power Missouri for a 7:30 p.m. ET (6:30 p.m. CT) contest.