Bill Ziskin

Menís Soccer Falls To Stony Brook 2-1

UAlbany Sports Information   10-22-2016

ALBANY, N.Y. – The University at Albany men’s soccer team’s (8-4-2, 3-1-1 AE) unbeaten streak of six came to an end on a cold and wet Saturday night when the Great Danes dropped their match against conference rival Stony Brook (8-5-2, 3-2-0) in overtime 2-1.

“Of course we’re disappointed with the loss tonight,” said head coach Trevor Gorman.  “The America East is tough night-in and night-out, and tonight was another game that could go either way.  We felt we could have scored a few more in the first half and then, credit to Stony Brook, they played well also.”

UAlbany had a strong opportunity to score within the first two minutes of the game, when junior forward Afonso Pinheiro drew the ball across the mouth of the Stony Brook goal from the right side.  His target, sophomore forward Nico Solabarrieta, just missed on his one-touch into an open net, with the ball skirting past his foot instead.

Ten minutes later, UAlbany had another scoring chance.  A broken play in the box resulted in the ball skipping high off the Stony Brook left post and rebounding to sophomore midfielder Carlos Clark.  Clark didn’t make a good connection on his point-blank shot, sending the ball high and wide left.

The Great Danes did score first on another broken play in the 30th minute.  After breaking down the left sideline, Pinheiro played the ball to the near top corner of Stony Brook’s box to Clark, who tried to play it back to Pinheiro, but his pass was intercepted.  The ball bounced to Solabarrieta at the top of the box, who passed to his right to sophomore defender Daniel Krutzen who ripped a shot into the net.

The Seawolves responded in the 43rd minute on a broken play of their own.  Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Danny Vitiello punched out a cross from the right side, but his deflection went right to Stony Brook midfielder Macdara Heanue, who collected the ball and took a shot on net while Vitiello was still out of position.

The halftime score was knotted at one, and remained that way for the duration of the second half, despite each side having scoring opportunities.  Regulation ended with the score tied, setting up UAlbany’s third overtime match of the season.  The game ended abruptly when Stony Brook drew a penalty kick on a breakaway in the 92nd minute.  Vitiello advanced on the break to make a sliding save but was called for a penalty in the box.  Stony Brook forward Vince Erdei converted the penalty shot, ending the game and giving Stony Brook a 2-1 victory.

Despite the loss, UAlbany clinched a spot in the America East tournament, which starts on November 5.

The Great Danes now take a one-game break from conference play, during which time they will visit Hartwick on the road on Tuesday, October 25 at 7:00 p.m.

“We’ll look to put this game behind us quickly and get back on the field at Hartwick Tuesday night,” Gorman said.




Men's Soccer Defeats Vermont, 3-1
October 12, 2018 Soccer - M
Men's Soccer Defeats Vermont, 3-1
UAlbany Men's Soccer drops America East match to Stony Brook, 2-1
September 21, 2018 Soccer - M
UAlbany Men's Soccer drops America East match to Stony Brook, 2-1